Sunday, May 31, 2015

Too Wise to Be Mistaken, Too Good to Be Unkind


Around the time we adopted the middle trio (Christina, Faith and Hope) from Russia in 2005, God, in His providence, led me to a gem of a book that I've read and reread a number of times as we parent special needs children. In Too Wise to Be Mistaken, Too Good to be Unkind: Christian Parents Contend with Autism, Cathy Steere opens her heart and shares the story of her family's painful and often-times confusing journey to their oldest son's autism diagnosis.

Although none of our children are on the autism spectrum, I've still found the book's raw honesty about the faith struggle the couple endured helpful. Parenting developmentally-delayed and disabled children as we're doing can stir up big questions about God's love, goodness and wisdom!

One of the ways that Cathy and her husband endured the spiritual confusion was to cling to truths about God's loving sovereignty captured in an old hymn sung at their church. I'm so glad she shares the lyrics in her book, the words have been a balm to my soul a number of times, too:

Whate'er my God ordains is right:
Holy his will abideth;
I will be still whate'er he doth,
And follow where he guideth:
He is my God;
Though dark my road,
He holds me that I shall not fall:
Wherefore to him I leave it all.

Whate're my God ordains is right
He never will deceive me;
He leads me by the proper path;
I know he will not leave me
I take, content, what he hath sent;
His hand can turn my griefs away,
And patiently I wait his day.

Whate'er my God ordains is right:
Though now this cup, in drinking,
May bitter seem to my faint heart,
I take it, all unshrinking:
My God is true,
Each morn anew
Sweet comfort yet shall fill my heart,
And pain and sorrow shall depart.

Whate'er my God ordains is right:
Here shall my stand be taken;
Though sorrow, need, or death be mine,
Yet am I not forsaken;
My Father's care
Is round me there;
He holds me that I shall not fall
And so to him I leave it all.
(Words by Samuel Rodigast, translated by Catherine Winkworth)

Blessings,
Denise

2 comments:

Called to Make the Difference said...

I read your blog all the time, but I have never commented before. But when I saw this post I couldn't resist. I have read this book and it is sooooo good!!! I would definitely recommend it for EVERYONE to read...whether they have autistic children or not. It will change their hearts. Thank you also for sharing the poem. I needed that today. It touched my heart in a situation I am going through right now. God is good! I am so thankful :)

Our Family said...

My Precious Friend,

Thank you so much for commenting for the first time! I so strongly agree with you about Cathy Steere's book. I really believe that every parent could benefit from reading it. Even if a couple is raising a household of gifted and talented children, the book has something for every parent as it encourages us to lavish our children forbearing, unconditional, unrelenting love. To love like this is to be like Christ as parents.

I'm thankful that the hymn blessed you. I'm lifting you up right now in prayer that God would meet you during your difficult season.

May God bless and keep you,
Denise
www.barrennomore-denise.blogspot.com