For the past few weeks, Mr. Beaver has been using our evening Bible time to teach us how to get more out of our individual daily reading. He's adapted material from a book by Howard Hendricks called Living by the Book, which he first read about a decade ago. He'd tell you the book significantly altered his relationship with the Lord by increasing his ability to understand and apply God's word to his life.
On Friday he taught the kids that when reading a passage something as simple as asking six questions can significantly improve your grasp. To help the kids remember the questions, he had them write the six words on their hands. They are:
- Who? (Who is involved in the passage?)
- What? (What's happening in the narrative?)
- When? (When is the narrative happening? Time of day, year? Historical timing?)
- Where? (Location of narrative?)
- Why? (Why do you think God included this passage in the Bible?)
- Wherefore? (How might this apply to my life?)