Sunday, December 16, 2012

Could It be Any Clearer?

Mrs. Beaver:



I don't normally post first thing on the Sabbath. However, as I've come around again to the book of John in my reading of God's Word, something struck me powerfully. It's just a phrase. But what if the words became the story of my life?

Jesus and His diciples have gone to a wedding. You know the story. The wine has run out and Mary, in a very motherly way, insists that her son do something to help. The two of them go back and forth for a short time.

Then in John 2:5 Jesus' mother says to the servants, "Whatever He says to you, do it."

That's it. Seven words. Just seven words. But what if I lived these seven words? Of course, there's the big things...like go adopt those four siblings in Russia. In other words, be My hands and feet to the vulnerable. (James 1:27, etc., etc., etc...)

But there's also what I'm going to call the whispers of His word. He commands us to deny self...forgive...be gentle...be kind...look out for the interests of others...love our enemies...be the Good Samaritan, not the religious person who crosses to the other side of the road. I could go on and on, couldn't I?

"Whatever He says to you, do it." Oh my, I'm overwhelmed by the implication of these seven words. We're told more than once that Mary pondered what she saw of her dear son's unusual life. Now I need to ponder. Oh, may her words sink deep this Sabbath. Then, Lord, through the power of your grace, may I live Mary's admonition.

You may wonder why I've placed a photo of my granddaughter at the top of this post. What do Brielle and Mary's words have to do with each other? My circle of influence is primarily my husband, my children and over time will also be my grandchildren. I need to take Mary's word's seriously as I interact with them so that they SEE Christ in me. They in turn will interact with so many others. Kind of like a stone being thrown in a pond.

Who are the primary people in your circle of influence? Mary says to you regarding them--and anyone else with whom you come in contact, "Whatever my son tells you, do it."

1 comment:

Jason M. said...

Some good thoughts, for sure.