Monday, May 10, 2010

You have now been summoned to give up your fingerprints

I opened the mailbox this afternoon to find a large stack of mail. Now, this wasn't just a somewhat sizeable amount of mail, this was truly a Goliath-sized delivery. However, my hair was in my face from a strong spring wind, so without identifying what the stack contained, I grabbed it and ran. I clutched the pile tightly as I hurried down the driveway, knowing that if the mail slipped out of my arms it would probably end up a state away before it stopped.

Examination of the mail soon revealed that something more exciting than bills had been delivered. Ten crisp envelopes bore the seal of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services, and the contents invited the five adult members of our family to a fingerprinting appointment in early June. Yes, each of us received two letters, although I'm not sure why. Maybe they sent an invitation for each hand, although in that case I'm not sure what you would do if you only got one letter.

As each day passes, we long more and more to bring our siblings home. How can you miss someone you've never met? I don't know, but I do know that we love and miss our three precious siblings still in Russia. We eagerly await the day they come home. This fingerprinting will bring us one babystep closer to that day, and a large mailstack could never have been more welcome.


~Lissie

1 comment:

The Nordstroms said...

Glad to hear you got your appointment to have your biometrics captured! Someone once told us that we should be much more excited about it than just a simple post on our blog!!!!