Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Much Needed Reminders

Mrs. Beaver:

Jetlag woke 6-year-old Oksana, who slept in our room last night, about 4:30. Thankfully, she did eventually go back to sleep (something that never happened yesterday when she woke at 3:00 something in our hotel room.

I didn't return to sleep, however. After I heard that parent-pleasing sound of the deep breathing that indicates sleep. I snuck into my bathroom to get refreshed through reading God's word. I started, as I usually do, by reading one of the prayers in The Valley of Vision, a collection penned by the Puritans. (HIGHLY recommended! Available at Grace and Truth Books)

As I face my first full day of parenting all 12 children at home, I was encouraged and strengthened by these phrases from the prayer on page 234:


O God Most High, Most Glorious,

"Thy great power knows no bound
   thy goodness no stint...

"The Lord God omnipotent reigneth...

"Revive deep spirituality in my heart...

"Let me live near to the great Shepherd,
   hear his voice, know its tones, follow its calls....

"Lord, help me, for I am often lukewarm and chill...
   sin makes me forget thee....

"Let the weeds that grow in my soul be cut at their roots;
Grant me to know that I truly live only
   when I live to thee,
that all else is trifling.
Thy presence alone can make me holy, devout,
   strong and happy.
Abide in me gracious God."

2 comments:

MacMeister said...

The Valley of Vision is so good! The Puritans really were close to God, and it shows in their prayers!

the johnson crew said...

When Jason and lost our kids for those 11 months, God used some of those puritan prayers to encourage my grieving heart. Have you heard Sovereign Graces album Call of Vision? It's great.
I appreciate your example to me to live in God's strength and put on his armor.