Friday, December 31, 2010

The Eternal Impact of a Marriage

Mr. & Mrs. Beaver:

As we share some of our favorite marriage quotes as a way of marking our 27th anniversary, Let us warn you that this quote is long by blog standards, but worth it. The powerful words come from a favorite parenting book called Gospel-Powered Parenting by William Farley.   
     "The message that our marriage preaches either repels or attracts our children. God wants your child to watch your marriage and think, 'I want a marriage like that, and I want the God that produced it." Or, "When I think of the beauty of the gospel, I think of my parents' marriage. I want to be part of a church that is loved by God the way my dad loves my mother. I want to be part of a church that finds joy in submitting to Christ as my mother joyfully submits to my father.'
     The gospel is the good news that the Groom loves His bride. He loved her so much that he humbled Himself, descended an infinite distance, became man, and suffered poverty and abuse for thirty-three years. Then in the greatest display of love in history, he allowed Himself to be tortured to death on a cross in His bride's place. The Son of God did all of this to serve His bride, to make peace where enmity reigned. What motivated Him? Love that surpasses knowledge! He longed to unite Himself in irrevocable love to an unworthy bride.
     But the gospel is not just about the Groom's love. It also provokes a response from his bride. When understood from the heart, it motivates her to humble herself, love the Groom with all her heart, respect him and serve him with joyful abandon. The gospel summons Christ's bride to yield to the servant authority of her crucified king.
     Here is Paul's point: Christian marriage preaches this union. It either makes [the gospel] attractive or ugly...What I am saying is that our marriages exist for something bigger than themselves, and our children are watching" (pgs.111,113)

2 comments:

Tales of MEEE said...

This is OH SO TRUE! Thank you for posting this amazing quote and reminder to me on what my role in my powerful marriage is and how I can honor the Lord all the while submitting to my husband and ultimately my God and Savior! I pray we can be an example of Christ's love and sacrifice to our little one and baby on the way!

MacMeister said...

A high standard, but one which we (with God's help) can achieve! I can tell that your marriage is a blessing and an example to your children and to the world!